Izanagi Games

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Izanagi Games is an Indie game company looking forward to developing the next gen of gaming.

Discord Servername: Izanagi Games

4 posters

SAO Weapons

Nomaru
    Nomaru
    IG Team
    IG Team

Character
    Organization (AoNB): Worlds End

SAO Weapons Empty SAO Weapons

Post by Nomaru Thu 28 May - 16:22

This is where you can talk about how weapons will relate to each other, like what role a dagger user will have in combat compared to a spear user or an axe user.

I was thinking that we make daggers the only weapons you can apply coatings to (like poison coatings or stuff like that). Otherwise, there will be no reason not to use those coatings. Plus, it will reinforce the dagger's role as a status effect weapon.

Also, maybe we should nerf the paralysis coating a bit. Instead of it working all the time, it just works outside of combat. That will make it great for assassinations, as you can paralyze your target and easily kill them, but it won't make actual combat a game of "one hit and you're paralyzed, then killed". Also, maybe stuff like poison coatings lose effectiveness in combat, making daggers much more effective as stealth weapons.
    Akira
    Akira
    Admin
    Admin

Character
    Organization (AoNB): The Shinsengum

SAO Weapons Empty Re: SAO Weapons

Post by Akira Thu 28 May - 16:31

Any weapon should be able to be coated- other wise the kunai/knife thing that Johnny Black used in the episode with  grimlock and griselda was in pointless a little bit
    Nomaru
    Nomaru
    IG Team
    IG Team

Character

Post by Nomaru Thu 28 May - 17:04

those would be throwing pics, right? Then maybe just small weapons can be coated (daggers, throwing pics, and probably boomerangs and Chakrams), or it costs significantly more to coat a larger weapon than a smaller one, or smaller weapons have a larger variety of coatings that can be applied to them, or something like those. I just think it would 1. make them more ballanced weapons in the game and 2. allow people to not feel like they're loosing something by not using coatings on their weapons.

Actually, I just got an idea that I think is perfect. What if coatings all severely weaken a blade's ability to deal damage. For example, a poison coated dagger would deal negligable damage when it hits, but it will deal a large amount of poison damage over time. the same would go for paralysis coatings, or for whatever other coatings we decide to put in (like blinding coatings, hallucinatory coatings, reversal coatings (the player's body moves the exact opposite of what they try to move)).

PS. disreguard my statement about how certain coatings shouldn't do anything in combat. Maybe they just have a weaker effect. For example, a paralysis coating would completely paralyze a person outside of combat while it would just slow their movements in combat.
    Akira
    Akira
    Admin
    Admin

Character

Post by Akira Thu 28 May - 17:08

it could aslo make it lose durability alot faster (and we all know how paralisis works in SAO/ALO- ie kirito vers kuradeel
    Nomaru
    Nomaru
    IG Team
    IG Team

Character

Post by Nomaru Thu 28 May - 17:10

yeah. If I remember right Kirito took the potion before combat initiated.
    Akira
    Akira
    Admin
    Admin

Character

Post by Akira Thu 28 May - 17:21

yeah- and it had a time limit.
    Nomaru
    Nomaru
    IG Team
    IG Team

Character

Post by Nomaru Thu 28 May - 17:24

so you like my idea on how it should work? significantly lowering the damage of the weapon and having the effects reduced if used in combat (for everything except maybe poison), and also what you said about durability being reduced faster.
    Akira
    Akira
    Admin
    Admin

Character

Post by Akira Thu 28 May - 17:26

i do that i do- but should be able to be applied to all weapons- though the bigger the weapon the more it requires and their for the faster it loses its durability
    Nomaru
    Nomaru
    IG Team
    IG Team

Character

Post by Nomaru Thu 28 May - 17:36

and the higher percentage of damage it will decrease (like maybe a dagger does 25% of its normal damage but a 2-handed sword does something like 5%), obviously scaling w/ weapon size.
    HourlongFall
    HourlongFall
    IG Team
    IG Team

Character

Post by HourlongFall Fri 29 May - 16:48

Is it really a good idea to decrease the overall damage of the weapon just cause you coat it? It doesn't make sense really, sure the bigger the weapon, the more of the said poison needs to be applied to have the ideal effect on the target. The game needs ballancing but coating a weapon in poison shouldn't affect the DMG the weapon on it's own does.
    Nomaru
    Nomaru
    IG Team
    IG Team

Character

Post by Nomaru Sat 30 May - 9:53

Well, just affecting the durability of a weapon is almost negligible, as it would be simple to repair it w/ a bit of col or just get the repairing skill and do it for free. It may not make sense if this was irl, but a lot of systems we have don't entirely make sense if they were translated into real life (do you know how hard it was to explain to my mom that I couldn't just wear a heavy gauntlet on my left hand/arm to use as a shield against attacks?). To me, the base question is "why do we want people to use coatings?". The answer, to me, is "because they use assassination/tricky fighter-type builds" like yours. That's why coatings have increased effectiveness when used outside of combat. It's also why they lower damage.

Let me make a bit of a parallel here. Think about enchantments in skyrim. Right now, if we don't mess with damage, coatings are almost identical to enchantments. They improve the effectiveness of a weapon at the cost of making the item less durable (in skyrims, that "durability" is the little gauge that has to be refilled with soul gems). Even still, there's no reason not to use an enchanted weapon in Skyrim. Yet we don't want players to have no reason not to use coated weapons in SAO. Reducing the damage seems like the perfect way to do that. A fighter could have a bunch of different daggers, each coated w/ a different substance, to make them a tricky opponent to beat. A poison dagger would turn even a small cut into serious damage, a paralysis dagger can turn the tide in an agility-vs-agility battle and make a strength player have almost no chance of hitting you. Now, you'd have to keep switching weapons into the most useful one in the current situation (probably using the tactic of "mess them up until I can get a couple of hits easy, then stack a half dozen poisonings on them and they slowly die"), which brings to mind maybe adding some kind of hotbar/quick-equip system in SAO to change weapons/armor on the fly and access useful items like healing potions, but you would choose to take a risk of lowered damage per-hit to gain enough control over your opponent in combat. It's still a viable method of fighting, especially because poisons take as much of an effect on a small scratch as they do with a direct hit.

P.S.: If you're just going for damage, I think we should balance it so that poison will deal more damage than your basic dagger slash, just over time. So you would be dealing more damage w/ each hit, you'd just have to survive your opponent a bit longer.
    HourlongFall
    HourlongFall
    IG Team
    IG Team

Character

Post by HourlongFall Sat 30 May - 9:59

Had some trouble processing all that but I think I get what you mean
    Nomaru
    Nomaru
    IG Team
    IG Team

Character

Post by Nomaru Wed 17 Jun - 12:37

okay, I have some thoughts on spears. What if there is no difference between a one-handed or a two-handed spear. We have a set of sword skills that use 2 hands for spears, and a set that uses 1 hand. The 2 hand skills will be significantly more accurate and do more damage, but require 2 hands. The one handed skills will leave a hand open for a shield or something, but will be significantly less accurate (as any who have attempted to accurately stab a spear w/ one hand will agree w/ me on) and deal less damage. The main reason I say combine the two forms vs keep them seperate is that I don't see an easy way to diferenciate between a one-handed and two-handed spear. the one-handed starter spear we have seems like a pretty decent two-handed spear. we could try and make it shorter, or make the two-handed ones bulkier, but then they look less like effective spears. It would be easier to just make a spear a spear, w/ two sets of skills to work w/. You could even have a fighter that alternates between one-handed and two-handed skills during combat, as they both have pros and cons.
    Akira
    Akira
    Admin
    Admin

Character

Post by Akira Wed 17 Jun - 12:56

Nomaru wrote:okay, I have some thoughts on spears.  What if there is no difference between a one-handed or a two-handed spear.  We have a set of sword skills that use 2 hands for spears, and a set that uses 1 hand.  The 2 hand skills will be significantly more accurate and do more damage, but require 2 hands.  The one handed skills will leave a hand open for a shield or something, but will be significantly less accurate (as any who have attempted to accurately stab a spear w/ one hand will agree w/ me on) and deal less damage.  The main reason I say combine the two forms vs keep them seperate is that I don't see an easy way to diferenciate between a one-handed and two-handed spear.  the one-handed starter spear we have seems like a pretty decent two-handed spear.  we could try and make it shorter, or make the two-handed ones bulkier, but then they look less like effective spears.  It would be easier to just make a spear a spear, w/ two sets of skills to work w/.  You could even have a fighter that alternates between one-handed and two-handed skills during combat, as they both have pros and cons.

Well what if the only difference between 1 handed spears and 2 handed is the length of hilt-or the place where u place ur hands and oh speaking of weapons- guess what just got added to sao wiki as official weapons-Wild Dance (乱舞, Ranbu) (claws)
    Nomaru
    Nomaru
    IG Team
    IG Team

Character

Post by Nomaru Wed 17 Jun - 13:18

I can't find it, can u send me a link?
    Akira
    Akira
    Admin
    Admin

Character

Post by Akira Wed 17 Jun - 13:41

Nomaru wrote:I can't find it, can u send me a link?

http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Skills in the combat skills i think-
    Shadrixt
    Shadrixt
    Old Member
    Old Member

Character
    Organization (AoNB): None

Post by Shadrixt Wed 17 Jun - 18:07

Twisted Evil Claws? Already got a concept
    Akira
    Akira
    Admin
    Admin

Character

Post by Akira Wed 17 Jun - 18:08

Shadrixt wrote:Twisted Evil Claws? Already got a concept

yeah claws- got 1- wolverine claw
    Nomaru
    Nomaru
    IG Team
    IG Team

Character

Post by Nomaru Wed 17 Jun - 19:54

so we're thinking duel claws on each hand (like we were planning for Tonfa), only claws on one hand, or what? Also, do u think we would have more than straight-up claws for weapons, like an FMA style hand-blade. So the "claws" are really any blade mounted on the hand/wrist that is used to execute attacks.
    Akira
    Akira
    Admin
    Admin

Character

Post by Akira Wed 17 Jun - 20:30

Nomaru wrote:so we're thinking duel claws on each hand (like we were planning for Tonfa), only claws on one hand, or what?  Also, do u think we would have more than straight-up claws for weapons, like an FMA style hand-blade.  So the "claws" are really any blade mounted on the hand/wrist that is used to execute attacks.

i was thinking- only 1 handed claws- (like either the left hand of wolverine- or the right hand of wolverine) and FMA-is more of a blade extension instead of claws- so that would really work- with 3 variations- 1 claw(so 1/3 claws present on the claws)- 2 claws(2/3 of claws present on the claws)-3 claws- that can be found/made with different materials
    Nomaru
    Nomaru
    IG Team
    IG Team

Character

Post by Nomaru Wed 17 Jun - 20:39

okay. And the differing claw counts will just be visual differences in the weapon, or will they effect sword skills and stats?
    Akira
    Akira
    Admin
    Admin

Character

Post by Akira Wed 17 Jun - 21:09

Nomaru wrote:okay.  And the differing claw counts will just be visual differences in the weapon, or will they effect sword skills and stats?

just differences in visual-other wise its all the same-but all 3 claws will have a higher damage state- then 1 and 2(will have a higher damage then 1 claw) claws
    Nomaru
    Nomaru
    IG Team
    IG Team

Character

Post by Nomaru Wed 17 Jun - 21:44

okay, so all low level claws will be 1 claw, mid-level is 2, and high-level is 3?

Or is it varying based on level, like common claws are 1, uncommons are 2, and rare claws are 3?

srry for all the questions, we don't really have much info on the claws and I want to know how u see them working in-game.
    Akira
    Akira
    Admin
    Admin

Character

Post by Akira Wed 17 Jun - 21:49

Nomaru wrote:okay, so all low level claws will be 1 claw, mid-level is 2, and high-level is 3?

Or is it varying based on level, like common claws are 1, uncommons are 2, and rare claws are 3?

srry for all the questions, we don't really have much info on the claws and I want to know how u see them working in-game.

no worries- its great ur asking questions otherwise how r things ever going to get answered- I thought that it would be like all low lvl claws r 1 handed so what u said after "okay, so" is good
    Nomaru
    Nomaru
    IG Team
    IG Team

Character

Post by Nomaru Thu 18 Jun - 6:14

alright, thanks. That's all I have for now, lol XD

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content